Wednesday, April 27, 2016

He Has Me In Mind

In the kitchen were two mugs next to a thermos of freshly brewed coffee. My son-in-law had made French press coffee and had poured it in the thermos for his wife and me. The two cups were chosen especially for us and it was clear which one belonged to whom. One had a bird and was hand-made by my daughter and the one chosen for me had flowers and a Scripture. It rolled around in my head that he had had us in mind when he made the coffee and chose the mugs. It made me feel special, loved, acknowledged, wanted, and important.
If something as small as a coffee cup placed for me was taken as a great gesture of loving-kindness, how much more should we meditate on God’s loving-kindness and His thoughtfulness toward us. My son-in-law prepared coffee with two of us in mind; God prepared the world and gave it to us! We mess up so much of it. He gave us His Son, Himself and His Spirit...no little thing, and we snub Him, tear His creation apart, decide ourselves which pieces of His creation can be destroyed and even who can be killed.
I can only imagine how my son-in-law would have felt if I had said, “Eh, I don’t think I want coffee this morning,” or, “I don’t like that mug, I think I’ll use a different one,” or some judgement about the strength of the coffee. He would have been hurt a little I think. Not visibly, but I doubt he would have “had me in mind” favorably the next time he brewed the morning coffee.
Even though we take what God has given us for granted and many times abuse His creations, still... “ You brighten the darkness about us; You display Your goodness, Lord, for those who trust You; You hide us in the shelter of Your presence and surround us with love.” “How precious is Your love, O God; we take refuge in the shadow of Your wings; in Your light we see light.” “Behind us and before You encircle us and rest Your hand upon us. Such knowledge is beyond me, far too lofty for me to reach.” You had us in mind from the beginning and, “You keep us in mind.” Thank You!
Psalms 18:29, 31:20-21, 32:10, 36: 8,10, 139:5-6, 40:18
LikeShow more reactions
Comment

No comments:

Post a Comment